I really love Mexican food, no I mean I REALLY REALLY love Mexican food. It, however is a pain in the arse to make, and usually is full of meat and calories. I have been able to remedy one of those problems. I made an awesome meat free version, that we all loved. (i couldn’t really eliminate the calories…they are after all, easy CHEESY enchiladas) I made them ahead of time, then popped them in the oven when it was time for dinner. Enjoy!
What you need:
- 1 pkg taco seasoning ( I use low sodium, and I only use half the package)
- 1 pkg Morning Star Veggie Crumbles
- 1 box store bought Spanish rice
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes – UNdrained
- 2 cups Kale leaves- chopped fine
- Whole wheat tortillas (or regular flour, if you prefer)
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- about 2 cups shredded cheese (all depends on your level of cheese addiction)
- 2 or 3 green onions chopped
What you do:
Cook rice to package directions, but eliminate about 1/3 cup of the water and add tomatoes. Add kale when rice is almost cooked, you want it to wilt, not get mushy.
In a skillet, heat the veggie crumbles until cooked, add taco seasoning and about 1/4 cup water and cook until a sauce is forms. Add crumbles to rice and fluff with fork.
In a small sauce pan, heat beans thru. You can start putting it all together now!
Smear some beans in the middle of the tortilla, top with a good amount of the rice mixture. You can add cheese if you want (I don’t) fold over one side of tortilla, then the other and place seam side down into a baking dish. Continue for however many you can fit in the dish, I can usually get about 5 enchiladas in mine. Top with lots of cheese and green onions. You may want to add tomatillo salsa or enchilada sauce, i leave it out because the kiddos dont like it (I also leave out the green onions, as you can see by the picture!)
Printable version here!!